Monday, March 29, 2010

Another Personal Goal I lived To Tell About....

Remember last May when I was SO excited from completing my first 5K race?? You can read about it HERE

Well, this past Saturday was another HUGE accomplishment for me.

I ran in my first official 10K race!!!

Not just ANY 10k race, though.

The nation's 3rd largest 10k race called the Cooper River Bridge Run

Check out the bridge I ran over!





Photobucket




For those who aren't famliar with a 10K race, it's a 6.2 mile race.  This particular race, takes you over the Cooper River Bridge and into downtown Charleston, S.C.  

But the bridge.

Oh! The bridge!

You run for 2 miles before you even get to the bridge...then once you get there, it's ONE mile UP the bridge...and once you are at the top you still have over 3 miles to run.....

I have NO hill training other that what I have done on the treadmill.  I just knew for certain, I was NOT going to make it up that bridge without stopping to walk.

But, low and behold....

Despite the fact that my hamstrings and glutes were aching....

I MADE IT OVER the bridge without stopping!!!

And once I was at the top of the bridge, I wasn't even tired, so I kept running...

And I ran the entire 6.2 miles WITHOUT stopping!!!

Can I get a WOOT WOOT!?!?!?!

I'm still doing the happy dance about it all!

I'm still super excited about completing this run....

Look at all these people...you can see them for MILES!


Photobucket


This race had 38,000 participants....

So, I wasn't racing for time on this one...there are SO many people you have to run around and they slow you down....so I  just wanted to finish this one without stopping.


Photobucket


It's just amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it!! If I can do this, ANYONE can do it. 

Two years ago I couldn't run for 4 minutes without stopping.

On Saturday, I ran for 1 hour 8 minutes and 14 seconds without stopping!!!!




Photobucket



On April 2, 2011 is the date for next year's race.

Who's running it with me?!?




2 comments:

Kelly M said...

This will be my goal! Think I could do it in a year?!?!

Mandy said...

You ARE my hero!!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!
SO proud of you!!!!