Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's a GATOR!




Soooo, I am hanging out with a neighbor of mine in her backyard the other day...keep in mind our houses back up to a cute little pond....and she tells me she heard there was an alligator spotting in our pond.

Yeah, right.

No sooner did she get that sentence out of her mouth, the alligator comes up out of the water onto land after a bird that was walking close by.

Holy cow! We have an alligator living in our cute little pond!!!

What's sad, is that we have a mamma duck with 6 little chicks that used to swim in a line all behind her...so cute, and something fun to look at every time I looked out my back window.

Mamma Duck seemed to have one less chick every day we looked out there...and we couldn't figure out where they were going....

Now Mamma Duck is down to one little chick, and I can almost certainly tell you where the other 5 went. So sad.

SO, anyway, we spotted the alligator and I ran inside to get my camera...mainly because I didn't think anyone would believe me if I told them we have an alligator in our pond. He's about 2 feet long, plus a tail that is another 1-2 feet...so a baby by alligator standards....but trouble, regardless, in my standards.

The "macho" men in our cul-de-sac are all about "shooting" him and "killing" him. I am not an extreme animal lover...definitely not a member of PETA..or whatever that animal activist group is called....but I am certain I don't want to see him shot. I am thinking more along the lines of calling Animal Control and getting him relocated...

I have 2 little dogs with "Gator Bait" written all over them until this gator is removed! :)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Oh!! That is way scary...I would be worried to death about my dogs AND my kids!

I feel the same way, wouldn't want him shot...just relocated...pronto!