Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dining Room Reveal...Deployment Projects #32-36

Another room is complete! Woo-hoo!

My DINING ROOM!!!!

I did 5 different projects in this room, so I am calling this Deployment Projects #32-36

Before I show you all I did in here, let me show you what it looked like BEFORE I got started...

Photobucket


Photobucket

Project #32....WAINSCOTTING!

This was put up by a friend of mine who also did my stairs and my board and batten....

All the painting (all 4 coats...whew) was done by me!
Photobucket






Photobucket


Photobucket

After all the painting, here is the finished project.....
Photobucket


I LOVE how this totally changes the look of the room.

Photobucket



I got my fabric for my curtains (project #33) from Tonic Living.....LOVE this source for fabric. VERY affordable and extremely fast shipping....AND I got 10% off my fabric!!!! I bought 6 yards of this fabric for cheaper than I would have spent at Target, had I bought curtains from there!

This particular fabric is called Bodega Mocha and you can find it HERE
Photobucket
I didn't even sew my curtains. I used Stitch Witchery to fold and iron the fabric together...took me about 20-30 minutes to make these!!! Not a single stitch was sewn!

Photobucket

I used the curtain rings with clips (bought from Lowe's for $10) to hang the fabric....

Photobucket

Photobucket


This rug was over 10 years old...back when magnolias were "in".....I was so happy to get rid of this rug....I skipped all the way to Goodwill with that sucker!!! ha!

Photobucket

I purchased this new rug ( project #34) on clearance at Pier One Imports...and I'm loving it!
You can find it HERE

Photobucket

And now for my favorite part......

MY CHINA HUTCH!!
(project #35)

This hutch belonged to my late grandmother.  I was reaaalllllyyy scared to paint it because I didn't want to mess it up....but I did my research on how to do it.  Thanks to my fellow bloggers, they taught me everything I know! ;-)

Here are the before pictures of the hutch....

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

From what my blog friends taught me, if you want to paint a piece of furniture, but don't want to have to sand it, you need to get this cover stain!

Photobucket

You don't have to sand the furniture when you use this stuff!!!!! It's just wonderful!

I wanted to paint my hutch something other than white or black....and this is what I decided on....


BLUE!!!!!!!

Photobucket

 It's a very pretty, almost robin's egg, blue. I picked up a paint swatch from Ace Hardware and the color was called "Fairfax".  I took it to Lowe's and they color matched it!!

Photobucket

I have to admit, this is one of my favorite deployment projects. I stepped out of my color comfort zone....and I am so glad I did! This hutch now adds so much character to my once boring and dark dining room!

Photobucket

Then I antiqued it with this antiquing glaze....it was so easy. Just paint it on, and wipe it off with a damp towel! The glaze will stay in the cracks and gives the piece of furniture more definition!

Photobucket

I kept the hardware...It was too pretty not to. I just used my ORB spray paint and painted them a little darker than they were!

Photobucket

Then, I added a few finishing touches (project #36)

The twigs came from Target, the vase from TJ Maxx...
Photobucket

I hung some plates on the wall I purchased from various stores (TJMaxx, Wal Mart, Home Goods) All were around $3-$5 a piece.

I also made 2 pillows to sit in the extra chairs that line the wall....
Photobucket

The basket and clear vase were things I already had. The white vase was bought at Goodwill for $2. It was black, but I spray painted it white and put it on top of my re-done china hutch.....

Photobucket

And here is my newly, freshly, made over 

...from drab...

to shab....

DINING ROOM....

TAAA-DAAAAA!!!!!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Another look at the BEFORE...(clutter and all) ha!

Photobucket


And the AFTER...

Photobucket


What do you think???

Happy Thursday!!!!

Linking to...

62 comments:

Sharon Chartier said...

Love it Paige! What a fantastic job you did! Very impressive...I LOVE the blue!

leemeandthegirls said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love everything about it!

Wenderina said...

This is gorgeous and I am taking some tips from your post on the furniture painting. I hadn't heard of that stain coat product before...sounds like a must.

Anonymous said...

Amazing transformation!

Take care,
Lisa

j said...

It REALLY looks incredible. You have wonderful taste and the blue popped!

Ann said...

Love love LOVE it! That blue is so beautiful! The curtains are great. I just today finished hanging my blinds and curtains(darn wish I had done it stitch-witchery--I sewed and it was a b!) in the DR and will soon post it--but STILL haven't worked up the courage to finally paint my china cabinet--now I want to so bad!

Pine Tree Home said...

Beautiful. The blue, the black, the white, all come together nicely. Great work. I knew this took a lot of time.

Morgan said...

Your new dining room looks amazing! The wainscoting is perfect and the wall color is a beauty. I'm going to have to check out your fabric source because I love those curtains. =]

Lindsay said...

WOW! I am seriously mouth agape right now. I LOVE the look that the blue hutch gave your room. You worked hard and it is gorgeous!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Great transformation! I love the fabric and the moldings! I am crazy for moldings and am considering doing that in my hallway. Good work!

Toni said...

I love it! So pretty! For the white paint, did you use a gloss, semi-gloss or satin finish? Also, I'd love to know the paint color on the top part of the walls. We're getting ready to have our 2 story family room and foyer painted and I really like that color. Thanks for sharing this with us! I'm inspired to paint the china cabinet in our garage instead of trying to sell it on craig's list. Thanks!

Melissa said...

wow! Everything looks so bright, clean an put together. Fantastic job.

Anonymous said...

It looks so nice, I love it. It definitely updated that whole room and the furniture looks less bulky and more inviting!!!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Lindsey said...

what a great job! I love the blue hutch. it looks great with the black and white curtains.

Lindy said...

Really awesome room redo! Great colors and I love the fabric print, too. So pretty!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Your dining room is SO PRETTY!!! I'm putting it in the Spotlight at the PoPP.

Janine Claire Robinson said...

My first visit to your blog. What a beautiful make-over. I love the touch of blue ... it makes it all come so alive. Very tasteful and elegant. Well done!!! (And very inspiring too!).

Terry said...

I love how your dining room came together and how the hutch just pops! Great work! Truly a great project!

Ray* said...

Looks awesome. That hutch is stunning. I'm so jel!

AttemptingAloha said...

So lovely! I have that EXACT dining set, so it's fun to see the room you created. I'll definitely be using some inspiration from your room when I finally get around to doing mine!

Aloha, Charlie

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

I love this room -- the floors, the curtain panels, and oh my gosh that blue china cabinet!!!!

Lovely!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Chrissie said...

WHAT A GORGEOUS ROOM YOU HAVE! YOU DID AN EXCELLENT JOB WITH EVERYTHING, I LOVE YOUR COLOR COMBOS.JUST BEAUTIFUL!

Julie said...

It's GORGEOUS. What a fantastic makeover. wow...I love it, and the blue hutch is outstanding...
Way to go. I think your Grandmother would approve. I love the pop of black that the curtains give to the room.

Nichole@40daysof said...

So lovely! Really impressed with the hutch. great color choice!

jen @ {decor junkie} said...

Oh I love this! You did such a great job. The blue hutch is gorgeous and so are the drapes...oh, just everything! It's beautiful.

Unknown said...

Love the drapes! Room looks marvelous!

Unknown said...

Love the color redo of your cabinet. The curtains are beautiful!!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

It looks fantastic! I love that you went with a bold color for the cabinet, it really makes the room, great job!

Anonymous said...

Your dining room turned out gorgeous! I love it. I'm so impressed with your drapes! The fabric is lovely and I'm a sewing and am just loving it knowing you just used the bonding stuff! :) You did a beautiful job. Your wainscoting looks wonderful.
Now your hutch - amazing! The fresh light blue looks so pretty with your other furniishings. I think the color helps it to stand out (softly) and be the special piece that it is.
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

DIYbyDesign said...

You did an amazing job. I love the blue. Took guts to paint that but it came out great. Linked over from between naps on the porch. You have a great blog.

The Frosted Gardner said...

Beautiful job! I love the wainscoating - I want to do this! us the hutch redo - fabulous. I bed you just want to sit in the room and enjoy!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Nice job! I love your table and chairs. You've tied everything in so well with the gray walls, white trim, blue hutch, and black and white damask curtains. It's very happy and inviting.

LouLou said...

I love it! Everything looks gorgeous! That pop of blue just makes the room... Congrats on a great makeover!

Kathy said...

Came out soo great! Wow!!

Shannon said...

It looks really great! Love the blue...just painted our tv armoire a similar blue. WTG!
Shannon
www.akadesign.ca

Dave'sWife@{thediaryofdaveswife} said...

Your Dining room is {GORGEOUS} I love the blue on the hutch. I too have one that I have by dying to paint.. . but am a little afraid. ♥DavesWife www.daveandkristycall.blogspot.com

The House Creative said...

One of the best makeovers I have seen in a while! Fabulous job! I think I am going to feature it this week on my site if that is ok with you.

Grace Baxter said...

I love what you did. Just one question: what did you do with the corner cabinet? It's not in the "after" pictures.

Grace
http://gracenotes4today.blogspot.com

elisabeth (bovagoods) said...

paige, it looks so great! i love the blue hutch. i am so FOR painting furniture!!! can't wait to see it all in person. your are going to have a whole brand new house!

Gina M. said...

You are my hero! Someone who shows how to make beautiful, classy curtains without sewing! I cannot sew to save my life (not yet), but need more curtains (since we moved to a house from an apt). What a fab tutorial on how to get around sewing! Thank you SO much!

I love your dining room. The table set is just beautiful. The fabric you chose for the curtains is fantastic. I love the rug too. Well done!

Biljana said...

Amazing, looks so beautiful, bravo:))
Greetings from Biljana

Unknown said...

Fabulous! You did a lot of work and it really shows. Great job!

Comeca Jones said...

Two words IN LOVE!That hutch is fab!

Unknown said...

I just saw your GORGEOUS dining room at Frugal Friday. It literally made me swoon! Unbelievable makeover. I love all your choices and every little touch.

You are one talented designer. How wonderful to have this beautiful room done in time for the holidays.

So glad I stopped in and am now your newest follower.

Cori

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

I love your dining space so much, I featured it on my blog (with links to your fabulous blog!!). xo

Anonymous said...

What a lot of work. Good for you. If I am being honest, two small ideas: the area rug could be larger to accommodate the table, or remove it completely - the chairs should not be falling off of it when you push back from the table, and I would paint out your chandelier in black to tie in the curtains and bring the chandelier into the scheme. Right now they are competing with each other and the blue cabinet. Painting out the chandelier will also honor the blue cabinet as an accent colour unto itself - the wow factor. (Ok, did I take too much liberty here?) What you need to hear is...GREAT JOB!

#idreaminfarmhouse said...

Love the blue! I just found a hutch to redo on Craig's List for $50!! I am so excited, I am thinking of making it pop with some Colonial Red!! Thanks for the tips, and great before and afters!

#idreaminfarmhouse said...

Thank you for the lovely before and after pics! I just spotted a big old antique dining hutch on CL for $50 and am going to give it a go! Probably going to make it pop in a nice distressed cottage red. Thanks for the inspiration!
~M.

Susan said...

That looks soooo lovely!!!

Maggie said...

I love the pop of blue. I am going to be stepping out of my color comfort when I recover two of our dr chairs with a burnt orange. I am not scared of dark colors, just orange is not one I choose to decorate with

Steph said...

My grandmother's china cabinet has been in our garage for 2 years, and I have been planning to paint it, but am a little scared! Thanks for giving me confidence -- love the blue!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Paige...

Ohhh my goodness...what a fabulous transformation! Your dining room is beautiful, my friend! I just loved seeing all the "before" and "after" photos...very interesting and so inspiring! The choice to do the panel moulding is perfect and it turned out beautifully! Love, love, LOVE IT!!! It really did make such a difference and added so much architectural interest! I also love your beautiful blue hutch! You did GOOD, my friend! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous dining room with us! I'm coming over from the Roomspiration party.

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Paige, your dining room is beautiful! I love the wall color and the amazing blue hutch. You did such a wonderful job and everything works so well together. Thanks so much for linking up to Roomspiration!

tz said...

loved the color of the hutch, really nice looking dining room

Shan said...

Oh my goodness! The hutch your grandmother's hutch looks just like my China cabinet I inherited from my parents! I've been kicking around the idea of painting mine as well. You did a fabulous job! Everything looks magical! Enjoy your new dining room! Glad you joined us for Roomspiration :)

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Love it! I love the hutch color! Nicely done. Found you via Involving Color. Toodles, Kathryn

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

Found you at Roomspiration. I love the colors you used in here. And great job on the wainscoting.

DEB said...

You did a beautiful job! Love the pop of blue with the china hutch!
So pretty!

DEB said...

You did a beautiful job! Love the pop of blue with the china hutch!
So pretty!

Unknown said...

what is the wall color paint... i love it thanks

Unknown said...

love the wall paint color.... can you please tell me what color you used?

Unknown said...

hiya! found your post via a google image search for "antique glazing hutch before and after" -- simply lovely! great job!